Wednesday, April 16, 2008

"Adrenaline Rush" or "Panic Mode"?

So today was Dax's first well baby visit with shots. Poor baby! He's got such strong legs that as soon as they stuck him he kicked his legs out and one of the nurses about had to poke him again! (2 nurses did it at the same time). He got 3 shots and he did the "no breathing" cry that lasts a good couple seconds (with that look that makes you as a mom wanna cry) and then he took a big breath and wailed! I almost started crying! I brought him home only to discover I had bought "Children's Tylenol" and not "Infant Tylenol". So I had to put the screaming baby back in his car seat and head up to the road to the stupid gas station that doesn't carry anything but Rolaids and Anti-gas and Diarrhea meds. Back in the car and in the opposite direction to the Albertson's we went. When we got to Albertson's Dax had fallen asleep (thank goodness!) so I wasn't in quite as much of a rush as when I had first left. I remembered when looking for the Tylenol that the doc had suggested Dax start taking an infant vitamin to make sure he's getting enough Vitamin D. I picked up the brand he suggested and headed home ready to be "super mom" and take care of my baby. We got in the door and he was still in his seat when he started to cry. So I popped open the tylenol and gave him some of that. He made a "yucky" face, but swallowed it just fine and calmed down. So I decided I might as well give him his vitamin dose for today while we were at it, so I opened that up and squirt it into his mouth. Only that didn't go down so well...Dax turned red and continued to swallow and swallow then made the "gagging" face. I immediately grabbed his arm and lifted it up not thinking it was a big deal until NOTHING happened! He was still red and gagging! It seemed like forever and I began to panic. "What do you do when your baby's choking?" I asked myself thinking back to CPR class and "back blows" you do to a baby when they're choking. I've always dreaded the day when I'd have to do this cause is seems so cruel and that you'd hurt the poor thing. I dunno whether my adrenaline kicked in or I started to panic, but I whipped Dax out of his car seat as fast as I could and patted him on the back a couple times...still nothing. I ran him over to the sink with the liquid vitamin drooling out of his mouth, turned him over on my arm, and began smacking him on the back. Turned him back over and his face was still red and he wasn't coughing or swallowing or anything, just looking at me in panic like he was saying "help me!" I flipped him over again and smacked his back again, then flipped him back to look at him. A little cough! I continued to pat him on the back and started telling him "breath buddy!" as if he could understand what I was saying. He swallowed and choked a couple times and then let out a high-pitched scream. WHEW! I hugged him while he cried then I cleaned him up and just held him for about an hour and let him sleep on my shoulder. What a day for the little guy! That was my first scary incident and I'm dreading the next one (you never know what lurks around the corner with kids). Next time I'll be sure to squirt the vitamin in a little slower and wait for him to swallow before dosing him all at once. There needs to be an instruction manual for being a mom...

9 comments:

Sarah said...

OH MY GOSH!!!
That is soooo scary! I knew the ending had to be ok because you were writing about this so soon, but I still was sitting on the edge of my chair almost in tears for you. Im so happy you knew what to do. That has to be one of the scariest things for a mother. Im happy he is ok now. And Im excited to see him in a couple weeks. :)

Merrells said...

Those moments are scary but whether it was adrenaline or panic, aren't you glad you knew what to do? Don't feel bad, though, I did that to Makenna with Vitamin drops when she was just a few months old. Not to the same extent but I felt bad nonetheless. Good job mom!

Courtney said...

Holy cow! Talk about being freaked out! I would die! I am going to be the most paranoid mother. I will probably be calling you all the time for advice. :) I am so glad little Dax is ok! I think I need to hold him again.

Anonymous said...

Those moments are SO SCARY!! You did awesome though! Hurray for mommy instincts (and CPR training)! P.S. When you get your hands on that instruction manual, I'll take two please.

brynn said...

Wow! So scary! I'm glad you were able to save the day!

Salty Gal said...

poor little guy...i'm glad you are a smart thinker :)

love, brit

michellecluff said...

Yikes! Definitely panic mode! Kudos to the days o' CPR training with Kelli! Things like that are SO scary and I wish I could say that they just go through it once and that's all... not so much. It just keeps getting worse! So glad you're both ok!

Katie said...

Britney - it's Katie Olson. I saw your blog through Bryn's. What a scary experience. Sometimes I think they like to do these things just to give us a start. Sounds like you handled it perfectly! Great job!

lacieinthesky said...

OH Brit!! That's so scary, but great job!